Chocolate v Strawberry Showdown

My favorite pancakes are hearty, dense, thick oatmeal pancakes. Oatmeal, chocolate chip, pecan pancakes to be precise.

But these heavy pancakes aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, and sometimes a more traditional pancake is the way to go.

These are a little lighter, more traditional pancakes with a hint of sweetness. They’re still whole wheat, still vegan, and still a delicious breakfast treat.

whole wheat flour

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

1 cup almond milk

1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil

1 tsp vanilla

1 Tbsp honey

Mix dry ingredients together. Stir together wet ingredients. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed together.

Let rest for a minute while you warm a skillet to medium to medium-high heat.

Cook pancakes a few minutes on each side- you’ll know when to flip when the edges start to look dry and small bubbles form in the center of the pancakes.

Serve warm!

whole wheat pancake recipe

Try topping with maple syrup, honey, peanut butter, or fruit.

strawberries and pancakes

I’m a strawberry fan.

strawberry topped pancakes

While the pancakes aren’t super dense, they’re still study enough to hold up some mix-ins: try chocolate chips, pecans, and cinnamon or banana and walnuts.

whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes

vegan chocolate pancakes

I couldn’t decide which stack would win the breakfast showdown, so I went with the obvious solution: I ate both.

pancake breakfast recipes

Who says pancakes have to wait until the weekend rolls around?

melted chocolate pancakes

What’s your favorite pancake topping or mix in? Are you waffles or pancakes person?

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen March 30, 2011 at 8:17 am

I looooove blueberry pancakes, they’re so delicious! :) I’m more of a pancake person than a waffle person, but that might just be because I don’t have a waffle iron.
Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen Just blogged…Just Keep Swimming

brandi March 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

both look great! I think chocolate + strawberry would be a good combo :) best of both worlds!

faith @ lovelyascharged March 30, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yep, a combination would be wonderful! Maybe throw on some peanut butter syrup?

brandi March 30, 2011 at 9:15 am

even better :)

Rach March 30, 2011 at 9:13 am

Oh wow, those look great! Especially the chocolate chip ones! :)

I am definitely a pancake girl. I mean, I love waffles too, but if I had to choose then it would be pancakes. And I like them with either chocolate chips or blueberries! YUM!

Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop. March 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

Chocolate chips — every single time. And then I may slice a banana on top!

janetha @ meals & moves March 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Both would definitely be the best option! Those look delicious.
janetha @ meals & moves Just blogged…spring clean up

Jess@atasteofconfidence March 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm

These look great! I starred it:) Definitely a pancake fan.
Jess@atasteofconfidence Just blogged…media schmedia

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 30, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I love pancakes with blueberries and chocolate chips :D Yours look so fluffy!
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) Just blogged…Battle Of The Oats

Jen K March 31, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Waffles! I say top off the chocolate pancakes with the strawberries so you can have best of both worlds! I do love me some blueberries with my pancakes too!
Jen K Just blogged…“This is local” Not Eating In – Part 2

Kelly March 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Honestly…my all time favorite pancakes are from IHOP (no shame). The Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes won my heart in about 5th grade and they are still my number 1! But here’s the thing I don’t like syrup. I like my pancakes plain jane when it comes to toppings.
Kelly Just blogged…drama mama

Heather April 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Oh my gosh I HATE syrup! I stick with plain or pb. Those harvest grain and nut pancakes sound just up my alley ;)

Hannah March 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Peanut butter, chocolate, and maple syrup would be my pick! After all, those are my standard oatmeal toppings :P
Hannah Just blogged…Deep Breath Now- Explaining My Recent Life Change

Heather April 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

My pancakes usually end up pretty similar to my oatmeal too!