Fast & Furious: The Birth Story, Part 2

by tinysneakers

Catch up on part 1 of the birth story here.

birth story fast labor

The husband had run home to grab a few things. When he left I’d been in good spirits; talkative, excited, eager for the events to come.

When he returned a mere 45 minutes later things couldn’t have changed more. I could barely speak. Moving was becoming difficult. I was ducking into my own world every few minutes. It took him a minute to realize it was time to play coach- my contractions had officially started…

labor and delivery

Although I’d been fine just an hour earlier, by 11 pm things were in full swing. With each check in from the nurse my reported pain level escalated. I could barley breathe through the contractions. I writhed around in bed impatiently urging the minutes to pass so I could break free from the mandatory 20 minutes of monitoring. The husband was more than impressed as he watched my contractions rise off the monitor; two big ones followed by a smaller one or two. Completely uneven and irregular. All I could say was “I have to get out of this bed. I have to get up.” When I finally could, it didn’t help as much as I’d thought. We tried all the positions we’d learned in class and could remember from our books. No one ever mentioned it would be near impossible to move from position to position while your body was tensing and contracting in agony. It even hurt to take a deep breath. The negative thoughts started going through my mind. “I can’t do this. There’s no way. I’m such a wimp. I’m never going to make it without drugs. How am I going to survive this for the next 24+ hours?”

I assumed I couldn’t be much more than 3 cm and it was nearly impossible to push those thoughts out of my head knowing how long I was going to have to endure this, but I tried.

My mom arrived from MD just after midnight, almost exactly 6 hours after I called to tell her my water broke. I’d been fine on the phone a few hours before she arrived, emphasizing there was no need to hurry, the baby wasn’t coming until at least tomorrow or the next day. She was surprised to find me in the condition I was in. I didn’t even have the energy to tell her and the husband to stop talking, I merely waved my hand in a hushing motion. I couldn’t handle the noise during the contractions.

When the nurse came in to check on me she did a little cheer when I told her my pain level had escalated yet again. I didn’t want to tell her but the husband made me. I was running out if numbers. She asked if I was feeling pressure and I responded with an emphatic heck yes. When she asked if I needed to bear down I thought it was a little strange for her to be asking me that early and told her no, no need to push.

I don’t know if any time even passed at all before I told the husband desperately to get the nurse; I felt like I had to push. I also felt ridiculous for saying I felt like I had to push when I wasn’t even in full on labor yet. (ha). Turns out I wasn’t the only one thinking that- the husband spent the walk down the hall from getting the nurse trying to figure out how he was going to talk me out of an epidural this early in the game.

The nurse must’ve known more than I did; she returned to my room with midwife in tow. No one was more shocked than me when her check revealed more progress than anyone was prepared for: 9.5 cm.

They’d already started clearing off the table to set up for delivery when I realized what that meant. Oh yes, I was in full labor, even though my contractions were never regular. I was about to have a baby.

newborn baby boy  new mom snuggling baby

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

Wow, that was fast! I hopeeee there is a part three!!


Haley S January 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

I love to see how different and unexpected everyone’s stories are. Sounds like you were quite a champ!! He’s so adorable…


Caitlyn January 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

You really are a champ, Heather!


Katie January 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

You move FAST! I hope my labor goes this quickly! O_O


marci January 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

What cute pictures! Amazing it went so fast for you and can be so different for everyone.


Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Exciting! Can’t wait for the final story! You’re a rockstar girl. Precious little guy 🙂


Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real January 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Wow, I love reading birth stories. To my surprise, I also labored VERY quickly with my first child and delivered within 4 hours of my water breaking. When I went into labor with my second, I walked in the hospital and calmly told the nurses to expect the baby to come FAST. They did not believe me at first but again within 4 hours I was holding my son. Can’t wait to hear the rest of your story!


Hotpotatokate January 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Wow! I can’t even begin to comprehend the mental adjustments you’d have been going through! I’m 34 weeks, and still not quite to terms with the whole idea of meeting my baby, and I imagine that going from girls night to baby in a matter of hours would have been pretty mind blowing. Sounds like you handled contractions like a champ- those would have been some damned intense “uterine surges”!


Lisa January 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

oh my – how very speedy!!!!

You are a super star!!


Jen January 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm

So crazy! My contractions were never regular either. You’re so strong for powering through them!


Karolina January 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Wow, it sounds like you got to 9.5 pretty quickly, which is fantastic! It must have been surprising to think you had a few weeks to go, and then once your water broke thinking you still had some time, and really having very few hours to adjust. These baby pictures are so incredibly cute!


Cancel reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: