4 Years

The day almost passed me by.

But it didn’t.

Today marks 4 years since I started down this crazy road of chronic pain and all that comes with it.

It’s a good thing I almost forgot about it. That means it’s not taking over my life anymore. Thank goodness. But I did say almost forgot about it- it’s still something that’s there in my every day life. I’m thankful to be able to say it’s just part of my life and no longer all encompassing or even a burden. I don’t give it much thought and it doesn’t get in the way of anything I want to do anymore. My hands bother me more than my feet, which is a welcome change. I ask a lot of my feet everyday and there’s no getting around it. I can ask for help or come up with another solution when it comes to using my hands.

I’m never going to go as far as to say I’m grateful this happened to me, but now that I’m not in the height of pain I can certainly see the bright side. It feels a little fake to say I’ve been able to accomplish so many things in spite of the pain since I’m not actively racing or even really running right now, but it’s not my feet that’s stopping me this time around. I was able to finish a triathlon, 2 24-hour bike rides {1 while 13 weeks pregnant}, 2 half marathons, an obstacle race, and a handful of other races. That’s pretty good in my book. I was even featured on Fitness Magazine’s The Fit Stop!

Now I’m not running and racing because of other things in life. Good things. I miss it though, and I ache for the day that it’s back in my life. But I got it back once, I’ll get it back again- and there’s much less to overcome this time around. I do have to say, I’m terrified to stop breastfeeding because I’m pretty sure the hormones have something to do with the pain holding off… only time will tell. Until then, my fingers are crossed. As crossed as I can get them anyways. Winking smile

mom and baby

Kelly December 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Such a beautiful picture!
Kelly Just blogged…Drive by

eliz@ourcrazysweetlife December 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

What a journey you’ve been on. Thanks for sharing it with us and for giving us a glimpse into the sweet life you’re creating.

Courtney December 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Beautiful picture. You’ll be back out there soon!!!

Jen December 7, 2012 at 7:06 am

Beautiful! With birth and breastfeeding – I have found my body chemistry changed drastically. I can’t explain it – but have some hope that maybe, just maybe, you won’t feel as much pain as before. You never know!
Jen Just blogged…Here’s Your Chance. Take It! (giveaway)

Heather December 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

Great photo! I hope after you stop breastfeeding you are still ok!
Heather Just blogged…Disney Cruise From Galveston Part 2

Katie @ peacebeme December 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I really related to this post Heather. I could almost have written it myself…except I haven’t been able to do quite as much in the exercise department as you since my pain onset, unfortunately. It was three years for me in July. I remember the exact date too. I also wish this had never happened to me, but like you, now that the pain is lessened and I can get around my house okay and go grocery shopping, etc, I can see the silver lining. I have learned SO much through this. I’m happy for you that you have found happiness with your family and some sort of peace.
Katie @ peacebeme Just blogged…Iron-Deficiency Anemia