Cubes ‘O Green

I love smoothies. Especially green monsters. I hate making them. I’m way too lazy for that. And I especially hate cleaning the blender every time I make a single glass of cold blended fruit.

So of course I have a short cut solution.

pre-made smoothie cubes

I’m the queen of short cuts. Like making big batches of oatmeal overnight, huge pitchers of iced coffee, and pre-mixing my oats. I figure every minute I save is a minute I could be doing something else.

There are 2 main smoothie problems:

1. Pulling out tons of ingredients and mix-ins.

2. Cleaning the blender every.single.time. {and running the blender early in the a.m.}

Smoothie Solutions

The solution to the first “dilemma” is this:

- Pre make your smoothie base into smoothie cubes:

green monsters

1 bag of baby spinach

1 bottle coconut water {I used Zico}

1 cup almond milk

1 packet Amazing Grass greens powder

2 scoops Sunwarrior Vanilla protein powder

Plus anything else you always put in your smoothie, like oatmeal, chia seeds, wheat germ, etc.

Blend, blend, blend. I can actually get the spinach all chopped up when I use this method instead of navigating chunks through my straw because I can just let the blender run without worrying about waking someone up from their beauty sleep.  *cough cough husband cough*

spinach smoothiegreen smoothie recipesgreen monster drink

Pour your spinach mixture into an ice cube tray. The silicone ones make it a lot easy to get the cubes out. Muffin trays work in a pinch.

easy smoothieeasy smoothie tip

Freeze your spinach cubes, then separate into plastic baggies. When you’re ready to make a smoothie, all you have to do is grab the spinach cubes, whatever fruit you want, and mix away. You don’t have to pull out all the separate ingredients again.

green monsters ice cubes for easy smoothies

pre made smoothie mix homemade

Of course, that doesn’t solve my 2nd problem. Using the blender every single time.

So solution two:

Start with the green monster base mix from above. {I usually just keep half from the original batch in the blender.}

Toss in your flavor of the week. I went with mixed berries this time: blueberries, a couple cherries, raspberries, and strawberries. I used about 3 cups of frozen fruit, plus a banana. I also like doing banana peanut butter, orange peach, etc.

frozen fruit smoothies

mixed berry healthy fruit smoothie

Blend like you’re making a regular smoothie, then do one of two things {three if you drink some right away}:

easy smoothie recipe

- Pour into single serve, freezable glasses. My glass of choice: a mason jar. {You can easily shake it up when you’re ready to drink.}

OR

- Pour into ice cube trays/muffin tins like above, then store in baggies in the fridge.

smoothie short cuts

{Small cubes will thaw faster, big cubes will thaw slower, so how much time you have determines what size you should make.}

how to make fast smoothies

Move the glass, or put some of the frozen smoothie cubes in a glass, and put it in the fridge overnight. By morning it will have partially thawed- enough so you have a smoothie and not juice.

how to make smoothie without a blender

If you’re going to use the smoothie as a workout recovery drink, leave it out on the counter during your workout so it will thaw faster.

green monster recipe healthy smoothie

If you really wanted to, you could pop the cubes back in the blender and mix it up, but I’m lazy remember? That defeats the whole purpose of not cleaning anything.Winking smile

green monsters premade smoothie cubes with spinach

Mmm green ice cubes.

What are your tips for keeping things simple in the morning? Or not doing dishes? Smile

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner November 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

Just letting you know how handy this will be to you when your little one comes! I’m making some of your crock pot oatmeal today so I just have to pop it in the microwave since she never lets me finish making it on the stove top!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner Just blogged…an unexpected run

Heather November 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I’ll have to remember to make some extra then- at least you can eat a smoothie hands free. ;) I got excited about making some freezer meals and now my freezer’s too full- I’ll have to eat them and then make more for Feb!

Melissa November 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

I hate having to use a traditional blender. So I use an immersion blender in the mornings. I blend my smoothie in a cup that I can drink out of. When I’m done drinking I put some water and dish soap in the cup and use the immersion blender in the cup again. It cleans the blender and my cup.

Heather November 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm

That’s even too much cleaning for me- but a great idea! ;) {Told you I was lazy!}

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston November 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

When I first saw the picture of this on facebook I thought you were getting a headstart on babyfood! :P

Heather November 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I’m SO not that on top of things. ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 14, 2011 at 11:23 am

Ha– love this idea! I was listening to a podcast yesterday that recommended doing the same thing…with breast milk!!! I guess ice cube trays are pretty multii-purpose :-)
Anna @ On Anna’s Plate Just blogged…Pom Crazy

Heather November 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh wow, I’ll have to remember that one!

Roger November 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Love this and have been experimenting with the same idea for a while. Much better to use ice trays or mini muffin tins. The larger muffin size makes a hockey puck of ice that some less industrial ( read cheaper) blenders have a problem chopping up. This method will hold a TON of kale also. Thanks!

Heather November 15, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Very true! Although I like using the big ones when I’m going to be away from the house for awhile before drinking it- then it takes longer to melt.

Liz @ Southern Charm November 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I hate cleaning out my blender … especially in the mornings. But this idea is so appealing! Love it.

Carolyn November 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I like the idea of batch freezing some of the ingredients!
Carolyn Just blogged…My Detox and Clean Eating {+Giveaway}

Karla @ myhighonlife November 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This is brilliant!! I swear by my vitamix but sometimes when my roommate is still asleep I’m afraid to use it. Maybe I’ll make some of these cubes to use on those days =)

Robin | Farewell, Stranger November 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm

This is brilliant! I love smoothies but I get lazy too.

The real question – what does it taste like with the green stuff in it? That kind of freaks me out. ;)
Robin | Farewell, Stranger Just blogged…Hope Chest Identity

Heather November 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

It’s very weird, but you can’t taste it at all. It just tastes like whatever fruit you put in. Even if you don’t put fruit in it still doesn’t taste spinach-y. You just have to make sure to blend it well- I’ve ended up with a few spinach chunks in mine before and that’s just not appetizing. ;)

Lauren November 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

This is a terrific idea, also I keep my blender up high where I actually can,t get to it with out a stepladder so only dragging it down once a week is great and will definatley make me have more Smoothies like once a day instead of once or twice a week.

sarah November 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm

This is brilliant! I did it immediately. Have you ever had any problems with freezing almond milk? I left it out just in case, and figure I can thaw the green cubes in it when I want.

Danielle August 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm

This is brilliant. I do this with my lemon juice, this takes it to another level. Thanks for the tip!
Danielle Just blogged…Avocado Smoothie 101