Pumpkin Rolls

I used to be a Spring girl. The bright sunshine, the birds chirping early in the morning, the smell of blooming flowers and fresh cut grass.

But the past couple years I’ve been becoming a Fall convert. The smell of autumn, the cool breeze, and of course, pumpkin everywhere to be found.

I may or may not have 66 posts dedicated to my love of pumpkin already.

recipes using pumpkin

But what’s one more? I don’t really care that it’s the middle of August. I’m channeling fall.

Plus, I stocked up on pumpkin last fall. Winking smile

cans of pumpkin

Remember that picture I teased you with last week? Wait no more.

Pumpkin Rolls

Anything that starts off with dough, pumpkin, cinnamon & brown sugar is bound to be good.

pumpkin roll recipe

Smother rolled out dough in pumpkin puree.

pumpkin filling

Cover with cinnamon and brown sugar. There’s really no need to measure, just spread until it’s covered, then add a little more.

making homemade pumpkin rolls

Starting at narrow side, roll dough into a log, then slice in 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices.

pumpkin cinnamon rolls

Place on greased baking sheet.

vegan rolls with pumpkin

Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

pumpkin roll

Yeah, I’d say those look pretty good. And pumpkin-y.

pumpkin roll recipe

I highly recommend eating one warm off the tray.

vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls

Or two. Just don’t burn your mouth.

vegan baking

cinnamon rollspumpkin bunspumpkin rolls

Serve with a drizzle of honey.

pumpkin roll

• For Filling
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1 Tbsp melted non dairy butter
  • ~1/4 non-packed brown sugar
  • ~2 tsp cinnamon

Instructions

1. Whisk yeast into warm water. Set aside.
  2. Mix pumpkin, honey, and coconut oil.
  3. Stir in yeast mixture.
  4. Slowly add flour, a third at a time.
  5. When you can't mix the dough together anymore, move to flat floured surface and knead gently until elastic-y ball forms.
  6. Place in oiled bowl and cover with towel. Set in a warm place for about an hour; up to 2.
  7. After dough has risen, punch down and roll out into 1/4" thick rectangle.
  8. Mix together melted non dairy butter and pumpkin. Spread on surface of dough, reaching as close to edges as possible.
  9. Sprinkle with brown sugar; then cinnamon.
  10. Roll dough into log.
  11. Slice into 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices.
  12. Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
  13. Drizzle with honey to serve.

Now, who’s ready for FALL?!

Don’t miss today’s pregnancy post on tiny sneakers: why I decided to ditch my doc

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff August 18, 2011 at 8:30 am

Oh these look AMAZING! I love anything that makes me think of Fall! Do you think I could add some other spices, like cloves or ginger, or would that overwhelm the pumpkin taste?
Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff Just blogged…Children’s Books Don’t Lie

Heather August 18, 2011 at 8:42 am

You can, but I’d use a realllllly light hand- I did with one batch, and it does kind of take over because it’s a mild dough. It’d be good if you could add more pumpkin filling to accommodate the extra flavors, but then it all spills out the bottom of the roll when you try to eat it. ;)

Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff August 18, 2011 at 8:55 am

Good call – thanks!
Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff Just blogged…Children’s Books Don’t Lie

Karen @ Goofy Can Cook August 18, 2011 at 8:37 am

Those look amazing, I am insanely ready for Fall. Pumpkin treats are my faaaavorite! Thanks for posting!
Karen @ Goofy Can Cook Just blogged…Playing with your food

chloe @ 321delish August 18, 2011 at 9:03 am

you just got me REALLY excited for Fall!
chloe @ 321delish Just blogged…Three for Thursday

lindsay August 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

umm YUM! making these ASAP. these are totally acceptable mid-summer in my opinion.
lindsay Just blogged…a’s to the q’s (part 2)

Heather August 19, 2011 at 7:42 am

Agreed! ;)

The Teenage Taste August 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

Mmmmm…these are like cinnamon rolls but better! (duh!)
The Teenage Taste Just blogged…Pico de Gallo

Penny August 18, 2011 at 10:12 am

These look incredible!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

It is never too soon to pull out the pumpkin! These look fabulous and really make me wish I had pumpkin on hand. Thanks for sharing!!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather Just blogged…The Leg Attack Workout {Video}

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 18, 2011 at 5:10 pm

oh these look delicious!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) Just blogged…Repeat, reheat, revamp

Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I love this idea – they look so good! I really wish I had stocked up on pumpkin last fall but now I cannot find it at Kroger :( I guess this will have to wait until October!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine Just blogged…WIAW + Restaurant Review – Paparazzi of Raleigh

Heather August 19, 2011 at 7:44 am

It’s always SO hard to find! I lucked out at Walmart of all places last year and stocked up while I could!

Amber August 24, 2011 at 2:24 am

Do you have a vegan alternative for honey that one can use as a sweetener in the dough? Would plain sugar work, or turbinado sugar?

Heather August 24, 2011 at 11:12 am

Any granulated sugar would probably work, but I’d recommend agave nectar if you have it. Molasses could make for an interesting flavor too, although I haven’t tried it.

Carolyn Jung August 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Pumpkin pinwheels! How gorgeous they are. I bet these would be fabulous for brunch on a crisp fall morning.

Kristl Story August 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Yummy! I’m ready for fall, ready for pumpkin & ready for an end to our 24 days in a row of 100+ degree temperatures!
Kristl Story Just blogged…Save Money with a Kids Clothing Swap

Samantha August 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I am SO read for fall. 114 degrees (at 12am even!) sucks! Those look so good. Alhough, if I make them my husband will want them everyday…
Samantha Just blogged…Marathon Training: Updates

Alison Golden - The Secret Life of a Warrior Woman August 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Pumpkin is so incredibly versatile don’t you think? It took me a while to appreciate it but pumpkin soup is just awesome!
Alison Golden – The Secret Life of a Warrior Woman Just blogged…10 Foods To Remove From Your Diet To Regain Your Health

Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop. August 24, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Yum! My kids love pumpkin break so this is a great idea!
Amy ~ Eat. Live. Laugh. Shop. Just blogged…Another weepy mom post.

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama August 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Looks amazing! I’m bookmarking this so I can try it :-)
Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama Just blogged…Wordless Wednesday: The Pride of a Brand New Walker!

Ann @ CreativeBoomer August 24, 2011 at 11:22 pm

You’re right. Cinnamon, pumpkin and bread is too good a combination to pass up!
Ann @ CreativeBoomer Just blogged…What I learned about Marketing Communications from Mirassou Winery

Mimi August 25, 2011 at 12:38 am

My mouth is literally watering! Those look delicious!
Mimi Just blogged…Macy’s mystylelab Concert Tour

Brenna @ Almost All The Truth August 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Just, yum!
Brenna @ Almost All The Truth Just blogged…What if you had to KEEP all of your trash?

ArtsyNina August 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

OMG my mouth is watering!!! SO going to try this.

Aly September 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I just made these, and I just want to recommend that others make sure they use a very sweet honey– mine is a little more malty, less sweet, and it didn’t work particularly well in this recipe. I ended up putting in twice as much as recommended, and some additional brown sugar and cinnamon in the paste, which helped.