Sundried Tomato & Massaged Kale Chip Pasta

When the husband and I first got married, we were living in a tiny one bedroom apartment and didn’t know anyone in town. I thought it was the absolute greatest thing that now I got to plan meals, grocery shop, and cook dinner every night. {I had no idea how old that’d get.}

I’d gotten a cookbook as a wedding gift and there was one recipe in particular I couldn’t wait to try out. It was some kind of pasta dish starring sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. What’s not to love about that?

{Please do not ask why I like the sundried variety of the horrible fruit that is a tomato. It’s a purely inexplicable phenomenon.}

sundried tomatoes

So hear I am, newly married, thinking going to the grocery store and shopping for dinner ingredients is just the best thing ever. I pick up some pasta, a jar of sundried tomatoes, a log of goat cheese, garlic, wine, and a few other ingredients the recipe called for.

I came home all proud of myself and got to cooking. As I set two plates down on the coffee table in front of the couch {totally high class, I know}, I beamed with pride and picked up my fork in excitement.

It was the worst meal I’d ever created. Even the husband strayed from his lowest critique of “it’s not the best thing you’ve ever made” to a flat out agreement that it was indeed, gross.

To this day, I don’t know if it’s because I used cheap wine, the wrong kind of tomatoes or cheese, or if I was just a really bad recipe follower- I’ve never attempted to make it again.

Instead, when I want sundried tomatoes and pasta, I go simple. Super simple.

Sundried Tomato and Massaged Kale Chips over Angel Hair

Whole wheat angel hair pasta

Sundried tomatoes in oil

Kale

Lemon juice

Olive oil

Pepper

Fresh basil

So simple there’s no need for measurements- just use as much or as little as you like of any ingredient, and adjust to how many people you’re serving.

whole wheat angel hair pasta recipe

Cook pasta according to directions.

Rip kale into small pieces and drizzle with lemon juice. Massage kale leaves with your hands for a few minutes so they start to wilt. {I don’t know why massaged kale is a “thing” but it is…ask any foodie.}

massaged kale chips

If you like massaged kale, skip the next step. If you’re like me and don’t, bake the kale at 450 for 7-9 minutes until it just starts to crisp and brown, a little shy of how crispy you’d make regular kale chips.

Slice sundried tomatoes and basil into strips.

sundried tomatoes and basil

When pasta is done, drizzle with olive oil and some oil from sundried tomato jar. Stir in sundried tomatoes, kale, and basil. Season with black pepper.

pasta with sundried tomatoes, kale, basil

kale sundried tomato pasta recipe

Unlike my first attempt at sundried tomato pasta, this was a success. Two thumbs up on the husband scale.

recipe for angel hair with sun dried tomatoes and kale

brandi June 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

this looks so good!

i have so many recipe failures from when we were first married…way too many stories :)

Heather June 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

I think early-marriage cooking failures are a requirement- it makes everything else taste so much better later on ;)

Cait's Plate June 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

I really need to use sun-dried tomatoes more. I love them and I always forget about them while grocery shopping. Every time I’m out and I order something with them I remember how good they are.

That dish looks fabulous – definitely something I’d like to try to re-create!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 21, 2011 at 9:30 am

Haha…we definitely had some meals like that when we first started dating…I like to think that my cooking has improved a LOT over time :-) This looks great!

Heather June 22, 2011 at 7:53 am

Haha I like to think the same- or else the husband has just learned to keep his mouth shut and SAY it’s good ;)

Lindsay @Cook.Vegan.Lover. June 21, 2011 at 10:39 am

All of my favorite things in one dish- love it!

Elizabeth Jarrard June 22, 2011 at 6:21 am

That looks fantastic! I adore sundried tomatoes AND kale and have pasta in the cabinet. this will be made soon!

Tanya Halliday June 22, 2011 at 9:40 am

This looks great! I make a similar version to this, but add pine nuts as well! And like you, I love sun-dried tomatoes, but can’t stand whole tomatoes.

Emily June 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm

You totally just reminded me how much I love sun-dried tomatoes!! Thanks for reminding me!!

Karolina June 23, 2011 at 12:36 am

Oooh, this looks delicious & healthy! YUM! We all have those botched meals…they make for some good stories:)

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 10, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Wow that looks SO good!!

Don’t you hate when a recipe goes horribly wrong? At least you were able to “get back on the horse” and try something new!

Stephanie August 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Wow! This looks amazing! My mouth is watering. I’ve found my dinner recipe! :) Thank you!!
Stephanie Just blogged…Pizza! Pizza!