6 Foods You Thought Were Vegan But Aren’t

Just because it looks like vegetables & says it’s vegetables, doesn’t mean it’s only vegetables.

Some non-vegan things are easy to spot. Chicken? Easy. Cheese crackers? Got it. Butter coated Brussels sprouts? Sure.

Others like to hide their non-veganness in the shadows, like ninjas. Sometimes it’s vegan, sometimes it’s not. Like these 6 things:

1. Arnold Double Fiber Bread

double fiber bread

Culprit? Whey & nonfat milk.

2. Barilla Pasta Plus

barilla pasta plus

Culprit? Egg whites.

3. Progresso Light Savory Vegetable Barley Soup

progresso light soup

Culprit? Cooked beef. Yeah, not even vegetarian.

4. Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger

morningstar farms spicy black bean burger

Culprit? Egg whites & calcium caseinate

5. Green Giant Healthy Weight Frozen Veggies

green giant frozen veggies

Culprit? Enzyme enhanced butter. Scary.

6. Beer

michelob honey lager beer

Culprit? Filtering process {can use animal products like gelatin or bone char} or ingredients, like honey.

{Bad example- this was a Miller Lite, which actually is vegan. But let’s pretend it was a Michelob Honey Wheat Lager, which isn’t. Check out which beers are vegan or not before you drink here.}

Just goes to show you can never stop reading the label.

Check out more hidden non-vegan ingredients and surprising animal products in everyday foods.

What foods have ingredients that have surprised you?

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) February 6, 2011 at 10:28 am

Vegetables that aren’t vegan? Just another reason to buy things in their purest, most unprocessed form!
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) Just blogged…I Love Food Bloggers

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston February 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

This is a really cool post Heather!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston Just blogged…EatSmart Scale Review My Scale Views

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

Shocking! It’s a good thing you thought to read the label. At the beginning of the week I took part in a sugar-free challenge and was surprised to learn that there was added sugars in my favorite crackers and soy sauce!
Erika @ FoodFitnessFun Just blogged…Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancakes

Gill (snaxandthecity) February 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

Cool post! I’m not vegan but it’s interesting to see how sneaky companies are in hiding ingredients!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

What a great post! And there are things I would never even think to look if I tried out a vegan diet. Wow!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun Just blogged…FFF Features

KaraHadley February 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I feel prey to the black bean burgers and the soup. D’oh! Surprisingly, the only vegan canned soup I found (besides Amy’s and the like) is Chunky vegetable something. I was shocked that the big manly soup was free of meat broth.
KaraHadley Just blogged…Can You Handle the Challenge

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I am really glad to read that Mill St. Brewery has a lot of vegan friendly options. I am taking part in a 7 Day Vegan challenge but really enjoy the their Organic lager.
Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans Just blogged…This Aint No Super Bowl If You Know What I Mean

Ashley February 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Honestly, I am the vegan diet is very enticing. I know it must be incredibly healthy but it also seems so exhausting. I guess I’m just lazy but I don’t want to have to put in that much effort into my diet. Life is complicated enough. I really envy those of you who have the patience to do so. Can you do my grocery shopping for me? Visiting from the Lady Bloggers. Cheers!
Ashley Just blogged…Inside My Closet- Day &amp Night

Lisa February 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I made Belgium Waffles this morning and was so disappointed to see that the stupid syrup I bought yesterday didn’t even have MAPLE SYRUP in it!!! NONE! It was all chemicals and sugar substitutes. YUCK. So disappointing.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska February 7, 2011 at 12:09 am

I’m lactose intolerant and am constantly surprised by the foods that have (very awful for me) dairy in them. I’m learning, very slowly, what to avoid!
ashley @ ashley’s adventures in alaska Just blogged…Balloons- dogs- and chocolate- oh my!

Ally February 7, 2011 at 12:24 am

I had no idea about the beer process. I would have never thought that beer wasn’t vegan.
Ally Just blogged…Island Style

Dori February 7, 2011 at 10:04 am

Ugh, WHY would they put beef in a vegetable soup? I got tricked by something like this at a restaurant not long ago. I ordered the pumpkin ravioli with crushed hazelnuts, sounds like a delicious vegetarian entree right? Well I ate almost the entire thing before realizing there were tiny squares of MEAT surrounding the rest of the food. I am a vegetarian and was really freaked out…. especially since it was a meat I never heard of or ate before, and one I never would have chosen to eat if I did eat meat. Sigh.
Dori Just blogged…My Response to the NY Times Article

Katie @ peacebeme February 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

When I first had to stop eating gluten, I was so surprised that soy sauce contains wheat, and actually quite a lot of it.
Katie @ peacebeme Just blogged…Quick update

kate February 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I cant believe some beers arent vegan! You are 100% right that you can never stop reading labels!

Laura February 9, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hard to believe the frozen veggies aren’t vegan! The vegan beer and wine guide is a great resource, thanks for sharing this! :-)
Laura Just blogged…Weekend Links

TheHealthyapron February 9, 2011 at 12:42 pm

wow, always forget about bread!

Mrs. Jen B February 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Get out! I would never even think that those veggies weren’t vegan! Scary stuff – labels are our friends, evidently.

Visiting from the Support/Promotion thread on 31DBBB – I’m following you on SU and will stumble this article for sure!

Bibi February 10, 2011 at 1:45 am

Seriously? The one that really surprises me the most is the is the black bean burger.

Stumbled and dugg
Bibi Just blogged…Family Friendly Las Vegas Pools

Sock Runner February 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I love this post! Thanks for sharing! Like some of the others who commented here, I’m not vegan but it’s really interesting to know about hidden ingredients in the food that we eat. I totally agree with what Erin said that it is always best if we take food in its freshest and unprocessed form.