Queens Feast Restaurant Week

I’ve always wanted to eat out during Restaurant Week, but I’m either out of town, forget about it, or find out about it a week too late. This year, thanks to Jackie, it actually happened.

IMG_0909

A bunched of us dined at Georges Brasserie, a French-style restaurant in south Charlotte.

IMG_0908IMG_0910

Restaurant week means you can order off the regular menu, or you can get 3 courses from a set list for a reduced price. 3 courses meant dessert- you know I was in.

IMG_0912IMG_0913

Love the serving dishes for the water and bread. Made me feel like I actually belong in a semi-fancy restaurant.

IMG_0916

We were seated next to a giant window with an incredible chandelier above us.

IMG_0919

First up, appetizers!

Grilled shrimp served over red pepper risotto. If you think the heads on the shrimp scared the living daylights out of me, you’d be correct. But I was in public and had to pretend to be a mature adult even though I was kicking and screaming inside. Lesson learned.

IMG_0924

The main dish: pan seared snapper with lobster & corn basmati topped with herb beurre blanc.

IMG_0926

I love eating fish at restaurants because it’s always prepared so much better than I can ever manage at home. This was no exception. The spiciness of the fish was perfectly complemented by the sweetness of the corn.

IMG_0932

Last but not least, for the grand finale….

Rustic apple tart with Chantilly cream. The entire dinner was worth it for this. I wasn’t expecting to be blow away, but this was delicious- a sweet, crunchy but chewy crust, filled with a hint of apples and sweet caramel & cream. The best part was the big chunks of sugar on the outside.

IMG_0938

It took every ounce of strength I had to wrap some of it up….but it didn’t last long. I miiight have finished it as soon as I got home.

A fabulous dinner was made even better by great company: Brittney, Jaclyn, Caitlin, Kelly, Diana, and Brittany!

Have you ever been to Restaurant Week? What did you think? Apparently Greensboro’s restaurant week was January 6th-16th….but the website still says coming soon. Not really a good sign, I don’t think. Winking smile Thank goodness for Charlotte being nearby {enough}.

Georges Brasserie on Urbanspoon

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

GSO has a restaurant week!? I had no idea… thanks for coming :)
Jackie @ Baking Charms Just blogged…Georges Brasserie Blogger Dinner!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Ummm I had no idea until I started searching for it this morning….I’m gonna guess it was a big flop ;)

Thanks for organizing & inviting! :)

Brittney January 31, 2011 at 10:49 am

Great seeing you again Heather! I’m willing to come to Greensboro sometime if you want company :)
Brittney Just blogged…A French Feast

Kristina @ Life as Kristina January 31, 2011 at 10:50 am

I seem to always miss rest. week too-i’ve made it a couple of times and love it bc then I try out new places:) Looks like you had a great one!

Kelly January 31, 2011 at 10:53 am

Heather, it was so nice to meet you. I especially enjoyed your information about eating during pregnancy. Always fascinating! I hope I see you again in the near future. :) Thanks for making the drive all the way down to Charlotte.
Kelly Just blogged…February- Coconut giveaway month

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Too bad about the shrimp, those scare me too! We have a restaurant month in October here in Ft Lauderdale. I’ve had some awesome meals that way!

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 31, 2011 at 9:35 pm

i missed restaurant week AGAIN this year. :( i’m so bummed & i feel like a bad blogger.
Sarah (Sarah Learns) Just blogged…making the leap from knowledge to motivation

Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I usually miss restaurant week in Chicago. Not sure why but I either forget it or find out months later! Your food looks great especially dessert!!!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD Just blogged…What Is The Deal!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

I feel like EVERY city in the country is having RW now!! I went to a few places in NYC last winter and I’m going to one on Thursday, actually….I love getting to see the pretty restaurants, even if the waiters do hate you for the tiny check!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine Just blogged…Quantum Heat