A Recipe Rival: Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Sticky Buns

I won’t hesitate to say that my whole wheat vegan cinnamon rolls are the best thing I’ve ever made. If not the best, definitely my favorite.

But even when a recipe is a winner, I have no desire to make it all the time. I can’t risk getting sick of it! That doesn’t mean I can’t make endless variations.

It’s time for a slightly less healthy, still part whole wheat, still vegan -but-you-wouldn’t-know-it, decadent breakfast treat.

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Sticky Buns

It’s like a chocolate chip pancake rolled into a cinnamon bun dipped in ooey goodness.

Sticky Bun Dough

Sticky Glaze

1 T vegan butter, melted

1 T honey

2 T brown sugar

1 T almond milk

1/8 cup pecans {optional}

1. Mix flax meal and water together; set aside. Heat almond slightly {about 20 seconds in the microwave}, stir in yeast; set aside.

2. Mix remaining dough ingredients together, minus chocolate chips. Add flax and milk. Stir until combined. {May not come together completely until step 3.}

3. Dump dough on clean, dry surface. Knead gently until nice ball forms.

4. Brush clean bowl with oil. Set dough inside. Cover and let sit about an hour to rise.

sweet bun dough

5. Once dough has risen {slightly}, place on clean surface and punch down. Gently fold in chocolate chips.

6. Roll dough into long skinny rectangle. Spread surface with cinnamon and sugar. {Add more filling if it doesn’t look like enough- depends on size of rectangle.}

chocolate chip dough

7. Roll dough length wise into log. Cut into slices ~try for at least 9 rolls.

baking time

8. Mix sticky glaze ingredients together. If won’t blend smoothly, heat them up slightly.

9. Pour glaze in greased 8×8 baking dish; spread evenly. Top with pecans.

sticky glaze

10. Place sticky buns evenly spaced into baking dish. Cover and let rise ~2 hours. {Buns should rise enough to touch each other and fill pan.} Move on to step 11, or refrigerate overnight.

sticky bun dough

11. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, covered loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes. {If refrigerated, set out to warm up a little before baking.}

vegan sticky bunsdough rise

12. Remove from oven and let cool 1-2 minutes. Slid knife around outside edge of pan to loosen buns. Put plate on top of pan and flip over to invert sticky buns.

sweet bun recipevegan sticky buns recipe

13. For extra decadence, make an extra batch of sticky glaze and drizzle over buns.

sweet bread recipe

chocolate chip cinnamon rolls

sticky bunpecan roll

These might be better than the cinnamon rolls….

chocolate and pecans

Chocolate chips? Cinnamon? Pecans? Gooey glaze? What’s not to love about sticky buns?!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Okay…I’m drooling!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun Just blogged…More Than You Think

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

And I thought cinnamon rolls couldn’t get any better. I’m adding this to my “Things to Bake” list. ;-)
Erika @ FoodFitnessFun Just blogged…Flapjack Frenzy

Pure2raw twins January 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm

These look perfect!! We had cinnamon buns over Christmas, wish I had some more to eat!

Allison @ Happy Tales January 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Wow!!!! Thanks for the recipe, and your pictures of them look sooo so good!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness January 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Seriously- I think you are the master of all things sticky buns.
That sounds a little weird. But yet it’s so true… nice work!
Amy B @ Second City Randomness Just blogged…A Friday of Social

Melissa @ Eat on the Run January 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Those look delicious. Might have to make them Monday, since
our lab has to be in the office :)
Melissa @ Eat on the Run Just blogged…Giveaway Winners!

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Yeah, I pride myself on my cinnamon rolls too. It’s great to have a killer recipe you can gloat about a little :) Love the idea of a chocolate variation!
Faith @ lovelyascharged Just blogged…How to Bounce Back From a Bad Workout

Kristina @ spabettie January 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

oooooh, YUM… and I LOVE the chocolate chips…
Kristina @ spabettie Just blogged…cinnamony spinach

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I just found your blog – those sticky buns look amazing!! I
will be back!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey Just blogged…bananas

Corey@ the runners coookie January 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Wow, the sticky buns look like a perfect winter morning treat! Pecans are awesome- I bet these go great with coffee.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans January 16, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hmm, if I leave now I still might make it to you before “brunch” is over…
Madeline – Greens and Jeans Just blogged…drab to fab

Maria January 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm

These look amazing!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

oh. my. wow.
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) Just blogged…Not Just Another Resolutions Post

Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 13, 2011 at 11:42 pm

These sound so delicious. I love making sticky buns or cinnamon buns!
Kat @ Cupcake Kat Just blogged…Trains and Pancakes

Amber July 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Just wanted to share that I bring a batch of these to all of my doula moms for our postpartum visit. So delicious, and they never even know they’re vegan!

Heather July 8, 2011 at 9:32 am

Aww that’s so sweet of you! I’m glad they like them! :)

Kristin December 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

Would it be okay to use maple syrup instead of honey?

Fran January 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I was wondering that too! What do you think?

Fiona January 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Um… you do know that honey is not vegan, right? (Honey… made by bees… bees = animals ;) )

Victoria February 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Hi :) I made these as I read it was National Sticky Bun Day in America and the family loved them! I didn’t add the nuts, and used Lyles Golden Syrup in place of the honey and agave, but my were they a treat! Thankyou so much for the recipe- I will definitely make them again! x