Winter-Warming Peppermint Latte

My favorite thing about winter is the early hours of the morning after a snowfall. The white snow reflecting the sunshine makes it look brighter and warmer than a summer’s day. Those few hours are when you can finally understand why people say the snow “glistens”.

SoS

Just one week after I stood outside in a t-shirt decorating for Christmas, we were greeted with snowfall. And not just a few flurries like NC usually gets in mid December- a full day of snow that managed to stick to the trees through the night.

Of course the first snow of the season calls for something special. Most would turn to hot chocolate, but I’m not a big enough chocolate fan for that to satisfy me. So…

A peppermint latte it was!

IMG_9900

Homemade Peppermint Latte

6-8oz brewed coffee

1/2-1 T peppermint syrup (recipe below)

1 oz milk or milk substitute

1 peppermint candy, crushed

Peppermint Simple Syrup

1/4 c sugar (any kind of sugar will work- I used half sugar + half Splenda this time around)

1/4 c water

1/8 t peppermint extract

[Recipe easily doubles & quadruples to make extra to keep on hand.]

IMG_9872

Simple syrup is easily made on the stovetop, but as you may know, I like things as easy as possible. Especially when it comes to washing dishes… so I skip the pot on the stove and head straight for the microwave.

SoS1

Choose a microwave-safe dish that has more than enough room for the ingredients- you need extra room for the boiling bubbles. Stir together the sugar and water. Bring to a boil in the microwave; continue to boil until contents reduce by about half. [This takes me about 3 minutes.]

IMG_9888

Remove from microwave [or stove top] and add peppermint extract. Let cool slightly ~if you’ve made extra, transfer to container for storage before the syrup gets super thick and sticky. It’ll make your life easier.

IMG_9889

Now for the latte part:

Steam the milk first for a true latte. For me, that means back to the microwave! Warm the milk gently, then use an immersion blender to froth the milk. If you’re using regular milk, you can use the jar trick- but reverse the order- froth, then heat. [The jar trick doesn’t work as well for almond or coconut milk, but you can use it in a pinch.]

Pour the milk into the mug, followed by the peppermint simple syrup. Add in coffee.

My pre-dawn attempts at whipped cream were greeted with an unhappy and half-awake shout of “BE QUIET!”…so no whipped cream for me….but if you have less-cranky people around, go for it.

Top with crushed peppermints. Voila! Homemade peppermint latte.

IMG_9901

And I didn’t even have to trek through the snow to get to Starbucks. [Ok, I’ve never had to trek through the snow anywhere in NC…]

Peppermint Mocha Latte

If you’re not abnormal like me and actually like chocolate, a delicious twist on the regular peppermint latte is a peppermint mocha- just stir in a tablespoon of cocoa powder before pouring coffee.

It’s as easy as pie! er… latte!

What’s your favorite winter-weather drink?

Heather December 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

I’m not a fan of coffee but I may try to do something similar to this with hot chocolate!

I absolutely love hot chocolate on a cold day – I also froth the milk but with my magic bullet.

Enjoy Starbucks!
Heather Just blogged…Oatmeal Sandwich

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 5, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Mmmm! I’m not a huge fan of minty stuff in my sweets but chocolate peppermint is growing on me slowly but surely (thanks to a certain Luna bar flavor haha).
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) Just blogged…Oh Naan- You’ve Been Missed!

Heather December 5, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Haha I usually don’t like chocolate OR peppermint…but they’re both growing on me. I totally blame the peppermint part on peppermint ice cream!

Cynthia Crowsen December 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Almond milk doesn’t froth well but oat milk is fabulous!

Heather December 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Oo I have coconut and almond milk right now- I’ll have to try the oat milk next time :)

Lisa December 5, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I love peppermint candies and they make me so happy in the wintertime. I used to get a white chocolate and peppermint mocha from Starbucks back when I never cared about calories…. ;)
Lisa Just blogged…Bar Hopping- Babies and Jello Shots

Scott December 6, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Wow, that looks pretty insane. I would say my favorite is hot cider with rum. Perfect to warm you up and get you where you want to be.

kate December 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Im a huge mint fan come cold weather. And I do have to actually trek through snow :(

Laura @ Backstage Pass December 7, 2010 at 5:41 pm

This sounds delicious. Gotta try out the recipe soon!
My favorite winter weather drink is hot chocolate… mmmm. Or, hot mulled cider.
Laura @ Backstage Pass Just blogged…Tis the Season- Workout DVDs

LP67 September 26, 2011 at 11:58 pm

This looks super easy and I’m excited to make it! I’m only 12! Haha. I’ll make it for my mom ;)

Cyndi October 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Oh m goodness! I am a Peppermint Mocha-holic! Starbucks got tons of my money in past years as well as adding “tons” of weight to my figure! LOL.. this will be heaven! I’m making it right now.. in the microwave.. with splenda!
Thank you!! I think! hahah
Cyndi Just blogged…Becky and Landon came to see

Amanda November 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

How long would this keep in the fridge or pantry; thinking of making for my mom for Christmas… doing all homemade gifts this year and she is a big coffee drinker. :)

Steffaniee December 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm

It Usually Keeps For Likee A Monthh Or Soo…

Steffaniee December 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I Had To Throw Out Thee Peppermint Syrup I Madee From UhhNother Websitee Bcausee It Said To Put 2 T Of Peppermint Extract, Annd If Im Correct T= Tablespoon, That Was WAYYYYYY To Much Peppermint. It Stung Mahh Eyes Just To Smell It. That Was A Dissapointment -.-. So…Im Hoping Thiss Will Be Much Better. &&+ For The Last Recipe It Didinhht Seem To Be Very Syrupy At All, Does It Get Syrupy After Youu Let It Cool.? Thanks. [:

Sophie October 12, 2013 at 4:19 am

What type of coffee is it ? E.g espresso ?