Halloween Hiking & Homemade Candy Corn

I wasn’t kidding when I said I was off to make candy corn.

Make candy corn I did:

vegan candy corn

The little candy pumpkins are my favorite, so of course I had to make those too.

homemade candy corn

It wasn’t a pretty process.

IMG_8549IMG_8551

But the end result? Vegan, non-hydrogenated, sugary goodness.

homemade halloween pumpkin candy

Worth it? Negative. But at least I know it can be done.

What was worth it: a Halloween hike to Pilot Mountain.

IMG_8535IMG_8476IMG_8477IMG_8527

3.3 miles to the summit? Sure, no problem. We found the blue dots and got to hiking.

Only they conveniently waited until the end of the trail to mention this:

IMG_8525IMG_8496

Umm, sure, ok….

IMG_8482IMG_8480IMG_8481

We’d gotten this far, we were gonna see that summit.

IMG_8487IMG_8500

The end of that hike was no joke. But we made it!!!

IMG_8513

Much prettier when I’m not blocking the view.

IMG_8507

IMG_8501

All the husband wanted the whole hike was a drink. I brought snacks but no drinks. (I had no idea what we were getting into.) About an hour into the hike,  he kept saying he wished there was a Mountain Dew machine at the top.

Well, ask and you shall receive:

IMG_8520IMG_8521IMG_8524

We thought up was hard. Down was ridiculous. There’s a reason the knee doc said no hills…oops.

IMG_8534

The end.

Time to go refuel with candy corn.

homemade halloween candy

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 1, 2010 at 7:22 am

Wow! I’m so impressed with your candy corn making!!
Estela @ Weekly Bite Just blogged…The Bumble-Bee…

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman November 1, 2010 at 8:03 am

The real question is: Will your candy corn last till Halloween 2012?
Tracey @ I’m Not Superhuman Just blogged…My Southern Weakness

Heather November 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Hahaa. I’ll have to set a few aside to see ;)

Alex @ I Eat Asphalt November 1, 2010 at 8:15 am

Those candy corns are darn cute. Is it weird that I actually don’t like candy corn?

Heather November 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 1, 2010 at 8:44 am

I don’t even like candy corn that much, but I LOVE your homemade ones!! Those are too cute!
Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg Just blogged…Devil or Angel…

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 1, 2010 at 9:03 am

Homemade candy corn – what a feat! You really took on a challenge I know I’d run away from.
Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather Just blogged…Wednesdays Weekly Workout MiniChallenge: Squats

Heather November 1, 2010 at 10:15 am

Those are absolutely amazing homemade candy corn! You are so talented!
Heather Just blogged…I Surrender

Nichole November 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

You have me totally impressed. What patience to get the colors and shape down. I love candy corn, therefore this post is a fave.

Beautiful hike. The colors are perfect this time of year!
Nichole Just blogged…Slow Down &amp Start 25 Days of the Little Things

Natalia - a side of simple November 1, 2010 at 11:07 am

I love me some candy corn :)
Natalia – a side of simple Just blogged…trick-or-treating in footie pajamas

Cynthia November 1, 2010 at 11:13 am

Looks like a beautiful hike.

Can’t believe you made your own candy corn – I’m impressed! :)
Cynthia Just blogged…Weekend of Firsts

Teacherwoman November 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

Wow. THat candy corn looks like a lot of work! Too cute! Great photos of the hike. How fun!
Teacherwoman Just blogged…Time to Say Goodbye

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 1, 2010 at 11:33 am

I love that last hiking photo with the tree that looks like an enchanted doorway. Your candy corn looks adorable!
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie Just blogged…Pumpkin Pie with Enlightenment Spice

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks November 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Make. Candy Corn. My goodness.

I think you are my hero.

Lisa November 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

It looks like a great hike! What a perfect fall day.

I’ve never even considered making my own candy corn! What a cool idea.
Lisa Just blogged…Zombies Invade Portland!

gina@conciergeformom November 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I love candy pumpkins and always wondered if you could make them! I am so impressed, and what a beautiful hike! I always forget something when we go.
gina@conciergeformom Just blogged…Total Body Workout At Home For Moms and Women! No Equipment Needed

Lauren November 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm

This has got to be the most impressive thing I’ve ever seen anyone make!! (either I’m easily impressed or just addicted to candy corn! haha) How did you do it?? Will you share the recipe? I’m so intrigued.

I love that you tried this, even though you said it wasn’t worth it in the end (though it’s pretty cool to say you made your own)

Your hike looks beautiful!
Lauren Just blogged…Cape Cod Marathon Done!

Paige @ Running Around Normal November 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm

You did not just make your own candy corn! That’s freakin’ awesome, girl.
Love the views from the hike. Glad you made it down safely:)
Paige @ Running Around Normal Just blogged…The Quarter-Mile Long-Run

Carleen November 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Hey, you’re candy corn looks great! You should check out Alton Brown’s recipe,(http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/candy-corn-recipe/index.html) its not vegan but he has some cool tricks on how to shape them that makes it really easy, but it’d be so much better if you could watch the episode. I’m planning on making them soon, I hope mine turn out as good as yours! How’d you make the pumpkins?

Kaitlin With Honey November 1, 2010 at 3:33 pm

You took such pretty pictures! That bit about the Mountain Dew machine is ridiculous! Your husband HAD to have known… right?

That candy corn looks amazing but soooo tedious. Major props for that adventure!
Kaitlin With Honey Just blogged…Hallo-weekend

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write November 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I can’t believe you made that candy! SO CUTE!!! I bet that was a pain in the bootay, though. :p
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write Just blogged…How to Make a Healthy Living Blogger’s Husband Really Happy

Book Worm Runs November 1, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Making your own candy corn?! That is dedication!! LOL! Nice pictures of your hike…looks gorgeous!
Book Worm Runs Just blogged…Starting Strong!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Impressed with your candy skillzzz. Cute!

heidi @ runaroundaroo November 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Oh, wow! I am completely impressed with you candy corn making skills! And the pumpkins…awesome!

The view from the summit looks sooo worth it! Beautiful photos!

4virtu October 23, 2012 at 10:15 am

Happy Tasty Tuesday! We love these cuties and they are featured on our DIY & Homemade Candy! Thanks so much for sharing!
4virtu Just blogged…How to Carve a Pumpkin

Judy October 28, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Did I miss the recipe?! I know someone who I think would LOVE it?! Thanks!