Ultimate Apple Peanut Butter Crisp

With the start of September has come the appearance of pumpkin- pumpkin lattes, pumpkin beer. Though I’m an avid fan of pumpkin beer, I just can’t bring myself to start enjoying the fall flavors while the days are still hovering around 100 degrees.

For me, the pumpkin has to wait until the mornings bring a slight chill and wearing jeans won’t result in heat stroke.

Apples, however, I can handle. Apples don’t scream fall…they just whisper it. So apple crisp time it is- and this is an apple crisp you’re gonna want to make over & over.

apples and graham cracker

First up, 4 tart Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced.

apple slices

You can peel them if you want, or leave the skin on to keep it rustic & homemade feeling. (I peeled a little, but left some skin on.)

sliced apple

Toss the apple slices in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Cover them in 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Mix to coat the apples then set aside.

apple slice

Time for the crust. Crush about a pack and a half of graham crackers in a food processor with a handful of walnuts.

pie crust ingredients

Use enough graham crackers to make about 2 cups of crumbs.

graham cracker crumbs

Add in 2 T margarine or butter (I used vegan), 2 T almond milk, & 1 tsp of vanilla. Process until it comes together enough to stick together.

pie crust making

Pour graham cracker crumb mixture into baking dish & sprinkle with cinnamon. Press mixture into bottom of dish to form crust.

crisp crisp base

Fill the baking dish with apple, flour, & sugar mixture.

apple crisp making

Topping time! Since the food processor’s already out & dirty, might as well keep using it. Mix 3 T of flour & 3 T sugar with a tablespoon of coconut oil, 1/2 T margarine, and a sprinkle of allspice, ginger, & cinnamon. Pulse to make a streusel-like topping.

streusel

Sprinkle streusel mixture on top of apples. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

apples

When it’s time to serve, melt 1/2 cup of peanut butter (I used half chunky, half smooth) with a tablespoon of honey.

peanut butter topping  melted peanut butter

Drizzle over warm apple crisp.

apple pie

(It didn’t “drizzle” as well as I’d hoped, but you get the idea.)

apple bars

Now for the most important step: slice & enjoy. :)

apple bar

The apple crisp is best served warm, but I’m not gonna lie- it’s pretty darn good cold too.

apple servings

No offense to your mom, but this’ll kick her apple pie recipe to the curb. It tastes insanely good, it’s pretty darn healthy, and it’s vegan (if you use vegan margarine). Take that pumpkin. ;)

P.S. The hydration giveaway winner didn’t come forward so it’s time for a new one:

It’s Karyn!! Email me your address ;)

If you didn’t win, don’t fret. There’s another one coming up just around the corner ;)

What’s your favorite fall flavor?

Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

Pumpkin usually takes the cake for me, but I’m with you. No pumpkin spice lattes until 110 degree days are behind me

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 3, 2010 at 10:06 am

This looks great. I’m so ready for fall apples. I’m beyond sick of the galas and like apples at the stores. I’m going to save this recipes for when I buy a bunch of Macoun apples.

brandi September 3, 2010 at 10:43 am

This looks delicious! I love all the layers.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston September 3, 2010 at 11:32 am

This recipe looks so yummy! I love that you said apples whisper fall (so true!!) — such a cute saying.

Anyway, I think apple pies are amazing in the fall :)

Matt September 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

I would totally eat that ;)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 3, 2010 at 11:36 am

My gosh that looks amaaaazing! I’m totally with you on the pumpkin – i need it to be a LITTLE cooler before I get on the bandwagon with pumpkin spice lattes. :)

Karyn September 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

yay for winning :) i’ll send you address now :)

and way creative to put pb on the crisp! i never ever would have thought to do that :)

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair September 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I ADORE pumpkin (sipping on a pumpkin spiced latte as I write this) but that apple crisp looks pretty freaking good too! I am definitely going to try that this weekend!!!

zestycook September 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I would like a piece please… or the whole pan. Looks delish.

zesty

Lisa September 3, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I’m with you. I have to wait until October to enjoy those things.

That recipe looks amazing!

Caitlin September 3, 2010 at 2:04 pm

As much as I love fall, I am not into anything pumpkin. At all. I also am not into baked goods with fruit in them. This little post may have just changed my mind. Especially with the word, “streusel” Bookmarking!

Heather September 4, 2010 at 10:18 am

Haha I’m pretty picky about what I’ll eat with baked fruit in it, but this one’s mostly fruit so it passes my test ;)

Heather September 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

Haha I’m pretty picky about what I’ll eat baked with fruit, but this one passes my test ;)

Kim September 3, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Amazing, I need to make this. Thanks for sharing!

Angie @ Everyday Inspirations September 3, 2010 at 3:30 pm

OMG I love this recipe! Yum! Definitely hints at fall. I’ll have to go raid my in-laws’ backyard for apples this weekend. Love it with the touch of peanut butter.

Marcia September 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Looks super yummy!

sassy molassy September 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Gahhhh…yum. I need a food processor ASAP.

Kelly September 3, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Your apple crisp looks amazing! I bet it made the house smell amazing too!
I’m with ya on the pumpkin – I’ll have to through in pumpkin pancakes!

Jasmine @ Eat move Write September 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm

That looks ridiculous amazing! Your pictures are SO good. I swear I could reach out and touch your apple slices. I really admire good photography. You got mad skillz girl. :)

Heather September 4, 2010 at 10:20 am

Aww thanks- I’m still experimenting & trying to figure out how to use my camera, but I love doing it!

BroccoliHut September 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Beautiful! Bookmarking this for sure!

Kristina @ spabettie September 3, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Mmm… I love anything apple and anything topped with CRISP. :)

the peanut butter addition? girl, you are genius!

Joyce September 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Hey!

This is my first visit to your blog and I really like how you combine food and fitness. Lately, I’ve been trying to bake healthier desserts and I like the sound of your apple crisp!

Joyce

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I am totally bookmarking this recipe! Thanks, Heather:)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life September 4, 2010 at 9:14 am

This looks absolutely amazing! It definitely has my name written allllll over it. YUM! :)

Kirsten @ Cooking in Japan September 4, 2010 at 9:33 am

I’m loving that apple and graham cracker combo – I’ve never tried it.

Favorite fall flavor: kabocha squash as I live in Japan. If I was still in Canada it would be pumpkin.
Second favorite: cinnamon

Still stupidly hot here to so am also waiting to start eating pumpkin flavored things.