Wheat Berry Ready

I finally remembered to make my wheat berries!!! I got these ages ago, and only think of them in the morning when I want to add them to my oats, but they take awhile to prepare so I always just say “forget it!”.  (Wheat berries (or one word- wheatberries) are the entire grain except the hull– talk about whole grains!)

I saw them in the pantry last night and threw them on the counter so I’d see them and remember to get them going before I went to bed.

I made all the wheat berries I had so the whole bunch would be ready and waiting whenever I wanted them. They’re easy to make, just take a bit-o-time.

1. Cover in water- about 3 1/2 cups water for every cup wheat berries. Let soak over night.

2. In the morning, bring to boil, then simmer 50-60 minutes. Add water if needed.

3. Cool & store. Or eat instantly :)

dried wheat berriessoaked wheat berreis

wheat berries

wheat berries

wheatberries

The wheat berries add such a wonderful depth to oatmeal. They contribute the perfect amount of chewiness without making the bowl of oats overly filling. I’m in love! :)

DSCN2015 DSCN2014

I had pumpkin chai oats again this morning, but this time with wheat berries of course. And added pecans on top.

DSCN2016

Still with peanut butter of course!

DSCN2019

So was that enough pictures of wheat berries for you? ;)

Don’t forget to check out my Fitbook Giveaway!

Daniel February 26, 2010 at 8:43 am

I have the same problem, I always want to cook the wheatberries but I forget about them or feel like I don’t have time!

If I have time this weekend from homework I plan to make up a bunch of staples (beans, grains, etc.) and freeze them for the dorm, so wheatberries are definitely on my list.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 26, 2010 at 8:53 am

I’ve never had wheatberries, but I know they’re outstanding nutritionally. You mention the texture, but that do they taste like? Regular grains or slightly different?

Have a great weeekend!

musingsofthegranolagirl February 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

Those wheatberries look great! I’ve been meaning to try them out!

theprocessofhealing February 26, 2010 at 9:20 am

I’ve never had wheatberries before!! They sound good though.

Kelly February 26, 2010 at 9:41 am

YUM! Those look so good!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 26, 2010 at 11:07 am

I’ve heard so much about wheatberries that I might have to finally give them a go!

todayslady February 26, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Whenever I see wheatberries on blog post I really want to try them. The problem is that I always forget to buy them at the grocery store! Ok, that’s it. I’m writing them on my grocery list now!

Lacey February 26, 2010 at 12:45 pm

i have never tried wheat berries but i’m much more likely to now tha tyou have spelled out how to make them! thank you for the tutorial :)

Lindsayruns February 26, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I managed to get my act together for my steel cut oats last night, but forgot that I could do the same with wheatberries at the same time. Next time! I love their texture, they just pop in your mouth I think!

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Yum. I love wheat berries. I think it’s the texture.

Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) February 26, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Those look fantastic – I think there were some in my frozen Amy’s steel-cut oats the other morning!! Where are they in the supermarket?

trialsoftraining March 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

simmer for 50-60 minutes?! Id’ never have the patience for that in the morning either! Thanks for the pics/steps though, I’ve never made these but def want to try them. I love adding a little punch to morning oats :)

Kelly March 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Okay I am back with a wheatberry question….if the nutrition label is for 1/4 cup dry how much does 1/4 cup dry yield cooked??

Heather March 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm

It a little more than doubles- 1 cup dry is usually about 2 1/2 cups cooked, so 1/4 cup dry would be about 5/8 of a cup cooked. :)